WoW Inscription Leveling Guide 1-600
Important: If you want to learn the best ways to make gold I highly recommend you visit this site to learn how to maximize your farming, increase your gold making with your professions, and learn the secrets to making 5,000+ gold an hour.
With Inscription you can make glyphs to use or sell and give yourself some sweet shoulder enchants. With Mists of Pandaria Inscription you can now also make some ilvl 476 staffs that are awesome and bind to your account. There’s one catch, Inscription uses Herbalism supplies, which means you’re either going to have to farm with Herbalism or buy your stuff off the Auction House. I hope you choose the later of the two and use this Helpful Guide.
This Inscription Leveling Guide is updated for patch 5.0.5 and Mists of Pandaria.
While leveling Inscription with this guide, you will make Glyphs with Inks & Parchment. The ink comes from milling (another Inscription skill) through herbs (more info in below in this guide). This Inscription Leveling Guide will tell you step-by-step the best way of leveling Inscription with the least gold.
* What’s in this leveling guide:
- Leveling Inscription
- Required Herb List
- Apprentice Inscription (Leveling guide: 1-75)
- Journeyman Inscription (Leveling guide: 75-150)
- Expert Inscription (Leveling guide: 150-200)
- Expert & Artisan Inscription (Leveling guide: 200-250)
- Artisan Inscription (Leveling guide: 250-290)
- Master Inscription (Leveling guide: 290-350)
- Grand Master Inscription (Leveling guide: 400-425)
- Illustrious Inscription (Leveling guide: 425-525)
- Zen Master Inscription (Leveling guide: 525-600)
Milling gives you 2-3 Pigments per 5 herbs, so all my estimates for leveling in this guide are based on that figure. For reference, here are the herbs and associated Pigments:
- [Alabaster Pigment] level 1-10 herbs: Bloodthistle, Peacebloom, Silverleaf and Earthroot
- [Dusky Pigment] level 10-20 herbs: Briarthorn, Swiftthistle, Bruiseweed, Stranglekelp and Mageroyal
- [Golden Pigment] level 20-30 herbs: Wild Steelbloom, Grave Moss, Kingsblood, and Liferoot
- [Emerald Pigment] level 30-40 herbs: Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whiskers, and Wintersbite
- [Violet Pigment] level 40-50 herbs: Firebloom, Purple Lotus, Arthas’ Tears, Sungrass, Blindweed, Ghost Mushroom, and Gromsblood
- [Silvery Pigment] level 50-60 herbs: Golden Sansam, Dreamfoil, Mountain Silversage, Plaguebloom, and Icecap
- [Nether Pigment] level 60-70 herbs: Felweed, Ancient Lichen, Dreaming Glory, Mana Thistle, Netherbloom, Nightmare Vine, Ragveil, and Terocone
- [Azure Pigment] level 70-80 herbs: All Northrend Herbs. Goldclover, Tiger Lily, Adder’s Tongue, Fire Leaf, Icethorn and Lichbloom.
- [Ashen Pigment] level 80-85 herbs: All Cataclysm Herbs. Cinderbloom, Stormvine, Azshara’s Veil, Heartblossom, Twilight Jasmine, and Whiptail.
- [Shadow Pigment] level 85-90 herbs: All Mists of Pandaria Herbs. Green Tea Leaf, Silkweed, Snow Lily, Fool’s Cap, Desecrated Herb, Golden Lotus.
While you use this guide leveling Inscription you should craft the widest variety of Glyphs possible and sell them for gold or share with your friends. So when this guide suggests a specific Glyph, there might be several Glyphs that require the same materials and have the same chance of leveling Inscription, craft whichever you or your friends need the most.
The following numbers are rough estimates for leveling Inscription all the way to 450 with this guide.
- Inscription levels 1-75: 6-7 stacks of level 1-10 herbs ie) Silverleaf
- Inscription levels 75-100: 4-5 stacks of level 10-20 herbs ie) Bruiseweed
- Inscription levels 100-150: 8-9 stacks of level 20-30 herbs ie) Kingsblood
- Inscription levels 150-200: 9-10 stacks of level 30-40 herbs ie) Fadeleaf
- Inscription levels 200-250: 12-13 stacks of level 40-50 herbs ie) Sungrass
- Inscription levels 250-300: 7-8 stacks of level 50-60 herbs ie) Dreamfoil
- Inscription levels 300-350: 9-10 stacks of level 60-70 herbs ie) Felweed
- Inscription levels 350-425: 24-26 stacks of level 70-80 herbs ie) Goldclover
- Inscription levels 425-525: 50-70 stacks of level 80-85 herbs ie) Heartblossom
- Inscription levels 525-600: 140-160 stacks of level 80-85 herbs ie) Green Tea Leaf
For this part of the leveling guide you’ll only need the recipes from the Inscription trainers in the big cities (Stormwind, Undercity, etc) From level 1-75 you are going to need 60 Alabaster Pigment, which can be milled from about 6-7 stacks of Silverleaf (or any other lvl 1-10 herb.) Don’t waste your time gathering these herbs yourself, just spend the gold on the Auction House. If you need gold check out this guide for tricks on how to earn it.
For the next step of this leveling guide you’ll need 21 Midnight Ink (42 Dusky Pigment) to get to level 100 and 45 Lion’s Ink (90 Golden Pigment) to finish leveling to 150. You can mill these pigments from 4-5 stacks of Bruiseweed and 8-9 stacks of Kingsblood (see the pigment list above for alternative herbs) This will start costing some serious gold so you should read this guide before you waste time.
For this part of the leveling guide, you will need to make about 42 Jadefire Ink (84 Emerald Pigment), which will require milling through 9-10 stacks of level 30-40 herbs (ie Fadeleaf). If you are running out of gold buying all your mats on the Auction House take a look at this gold guide.
To keep leveling to 250 with this guide, you’ll need 60 Celestial Ink. This will take 120 Violet Pigment which you should get by milling through 12-13 stacks of level 40-50 herbs (ie Sungrass). Sungrass isn’t cheap, and neither are any of the other herbs while leveling through the 200s. You’re going to need to learn how to farm gold or this step and the steps to come are going to be painful.
You’ll use Shimmering ink until level 300; you will need 35 which will take 70 Silvery Pigment milled from 7-8 stacks of level 50-60 herbs (ie Dreamfoil) to continue leveling to 300. This is another expensive step, even if there are enough herbs on the Auction House you’re going to get gouged gold. The best way to make the gold you need to buy these herbs is to learn how to farm gold and stop wasting time.
Leveling to 350 with this guide will take 90 Nether Pigment which will require milling through 9-10 stacks level 60-70 herbs (ie Felweed) to make the 45 Ethereal Ink you need for levels 300 to 350. Felweed has is relatively cheap on most servers so you should be able to get the majority of your milling done with Felweed. The other herbs are going to be more expensive. I’m not kidding, if you haven’t read this guide about how to farm the gold you need fast, you’re only hurting yourself.
For this leveling guide you will need 125 Ink of the Sea to reach level 425, which will require 250 Azure Pigment. You’ll need to mill through at least 24-26 stacks of Northrend herbs. This comes down to having a lot of gold. Some of it you will get back, but not all of it. Read this guide to learn the best ways to make that gold back with Inscription.
In order to reach 525 Inscription you will need a lot of Inferno Ink which will require you to mill tons of level 80-85 herbs. Estimates range from 50-70 stacks of these herbs. You’re going to need a lot of gold, if you need gold check out this guide for tricks on how to earn it.
To reach 600 Inscription you will need a lot of Ink of Dreams which will require you to mill tons of level 85-90 herbs. Estimates range from 160 stacks of these herbs give or take. You’re going to need a lot of gold, if you need gold check out this guide for tricks on how to earn it.
Congrats! I hope you enjoyed this Inscription Leveling Guide! For ways to make gold with Inscription, check out this highly acclaimed gold guide.
If you see something wrong or have feedback for this guide send an email to: webmaster[at]almostgaming.com
Important: Want to learn how to make millions of gold botting but afraid to get caught? Visit this site to learn how to make over 10,000 gold a day automatically without getting caught.